Amarnath Yatra Medical Health Advisory
Amarnath Yatra Medical Health Advisory
Amarnath Yatra Medical Health Advisory -- Do’s
- 1.Amarnath Yatra Medical Health Advisory is important to Prepare for the Yatra by achieving a high level of Physical Fitness. You are advised to start at
at least a month prior to the Yatra at least a 4-5km Morning/Evening walk. For Improving the
oxygen efficiency of your body, you should start doing deep breathing exercises and Yoga,
- 2. Your journey shall involve trekking across high mountains, facing strong cold winds. You
must carry (i) adequate woolen clothing; (ii) a small umbrella (preferably one which is tied
with an elastic band around your head and supported by a strap around the chin); (iii)
windcheater; (iv) raincoat; (v) waterproof trekking shoes; (vi) torch; (vii) walking stick; (viii)
cap (preferably a monkey cap); (ix) gloves; (x) jacket; (xi) woolen socks; (xii) trousers
(preferably a waterproof pair). These items are essential as the climate is highly unpredictable
and changes abruptly from sunny weather to rain and snow. The temperature can sometimes
abruptly fall to 5 degrees Celcius or lower.
- 3. For Ladies: Saree is not a suitable dress for the Yatra. Salwar Kameez, pant-shirt or a tracksuit
will be better. Ladies who are more than 6 week pregnant shall not be allowed to
undertake the pilgrimage.
- 4. Keeping in view the tough nature of the trek, children below 13 year in age and elderly
persons above the age of 75 years shall not be permitted to undertake the pilgrimage.
- 5. It would be better if the porter / horses / ponies carrying your luggage travel just in front or
behind you, as you may suddenly need something from your baggage.
- 6. During the Yatra from Pahalgam/Baltal onwards, you should keep spare clothes/ eatables in a suitable waterproof bag to ensure against their getting wet.
Some more things to take care
- 7. Carry a water bottle, dry fruits, roasted grams/channa, toffees/Gur (jaggery), chocolates, etc for
use during the journey.
- 8. Carry some cold cream/Vaseline/sunscreen to protect your hands /face against sunburn etc.
- 9. You should not trek alone. Always travel in a group and ensure that all those comprising the
group, walking in front of you or in the rear, always remain in your sight, to ensure against
your being separated from them.
- 10.To enable prompt action being taken in case of any emergency, you should keep in your
pocket a note containing the name/addresses/mobile telephone number of a member of your
group with whom you are travelling. You must also carry your Yatra Permit and any other
- 11.On your return journey, you must leave the Base Camp along with all members of your group.
In case any member of your group is missing you must seek the immediate assistance of the Police
and also have an announcement made on the Public Address System at the Yatra Camp.
- 12.You should provide all possible help to your fellow Yatris, traveling with you, and perform
the pilgrimage with a pious mind.
- 13.You must strictly follow the instructions issued by the Yatra administration, from time to time.
- 14.Earth, water, air, fire and sky are integral parts of Lord Shiva. The Base camp and the entire
Yatra routes are the abode of Shri Amarnathji. Throughout your pilgrimage, you must respect
the environment and do nothing to pollute it.
- 15.All waste materials must be placed in the nearest dustbin. All organic wastes must be put in the
dustbin which is green colored.
- 16.Lavatories/ urinals, installed in the camps and other places en route the Holy Cave, should be
- 1. Don’t stop at places which are marked by warning notices.
- 2. Don’t use slippers because there are steep rises and falls on the route to the Holy Cave. Only
wear trekking shoes with laces.
- 3. Don’t attempt any short cuts on the route as doing so would be dangerous.
- 4. Do not do anything during your entire forward/return journey which could cause pollution or
disturb the environment of the Yatra area. Use of plastics is strictly banned in the State and
is punishable under law.